Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Gingerbread Playdough

My kids love playing with play dough. Last year I made them gingerbread play dough and decided to make it again this year for Kate to put in the treat bags at school for her Christmas party. I spent yesterday making it and the kids LOVED playing with the extra. Kate came home from her Christmas party today and immediately started playing with hers again. The bonus is my house smells delicious from all the spices in it!
 
I thought I would share the recipe in case you would like to make it for any of the little people in your life :o)

Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cloves
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup water

Instructions:

In a medium saucepan whisk together dry ingredients. Next mix in the water and oil, stir until a thick batter is formed. Cook the mixture over low/ medium heat until a thick dough forms. Turn out onto wax paper and knead until smooth. Makes about 2 cups of dough.









 For some reason I am unable to add captions to the pictures today so I will start at the top and go left to right.

1. I get all of the ingredients together beforehand because the cooking goes fast.
2. This is what it looks like when mixed and just starting to cook. It may get clumpy and that is ok.
3. The finished dough after a little kneading.
4. I put about a cup in small mason jars and attached a small cookie cutter and note from Kate.
5. Kate playing bakery.
6. Some of the "cookies" Kate was making. Don't they look real?

Thank you for reading. I hope your little ones enjoy this as much as mine. Happy Holidays!!

UPDATE: I made a couple of variations to this today.

Chocolate= Discard spices and instead use 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder.
Peppermint= Discard all spices and add 2 tsp. peppermint extract at the same time that you add the oil and water.







 
 

 



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe for the play dough! I'm excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda will love it! Kate has been playing with it non stop!!

      Delete