Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

The flu found our house this past week. I came down with it first and then passed it on to the rest of the family. It was miserable. It started Friday but I still can barely eat and have been craving some good chicken noodle soup. So today I decided to make my own with homemade noodles. It was quite the project but well worth it :o) I thought I would share the recipe in case any of you would like to make it.

- 9 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups carrots diced
- 4 stalks of celery diced
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste (my husband doesn't really like salt so I just did a tiny bit and then added more to my bowl when I was ready to eat it)
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded (I used chicken breast)

Will was helping me chop onions. I thought maybe his eyes would water but they didn't :o)

+ Saute onions in olive oil until soft, about 3 -4 minutes. Add garlic & cook for 30 seconds. Add broth & the remainder of ingredients. Cook over medium low heat for 1-2 hours. (I covered it about half way through to make sure that the carrots and celery were extra soft).

Noodles:
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of milk (I added a little more because my dough was not quite wet enough)


+ In mixing bowl combine flour, salt, egg & milk. Mix until you produce a slightly sticky ball of dough. Flour the counter & roll out dough to 1/8" thickness. You want them thin because they will thicken when cooked. Cut noodles to desired size & place on wax paper. Let the noodles dry out on the counter for at least one hour before adding them to the soup.

+ About 30 minutes before serving soup, drop noodles in & cook. Enjoy :o)


I hope that you are all staying healthy this winter. Thank you for reading. Happy December!!

1 comment: