Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Kindness Day 5

Last night while we were snug in our house there was a big hail storm outside. While it resulted in Jordan's football game (semi-finals) to get cancelled it was a great teaching tool for me. I explained to the kids how we are fortunate to have a nice warm house to cuddle up in when it is cold outside and that some people aren't so lucky. They both decided that they were very thankful to have a house to keep them warm while it stormed.

That brings us to day 5 and being thankful for our home and beds :o) Today when we got up we went through our closets and gathered extra blankets. Kate helped me to wash them and then we dropped them off at a local homeless shelter for the people that don't have houses and beds to cuddle in when it storms outside. It is so important to me that the kids learn that they are very fortunate for all that they have and that others are going without. I want them to learn that it is important for us to help others less fortunate when we can.

 I keep thinking about the devastation that Hurricane Sandy left over on the east coast and praying for those people. I can not imagine losing everything and how devastating that would be. So while I can't go there to help hopefully we helped some people here in our town to be a little warmer tonight.

Happy November!!



Kate helping wash the blankets

Really mom stop taking my picture and let me load this

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you are able to help close to home. I had someone come in this week and wanted to post a flyer to send small boxes filled with items that people in third world countries don't have and might need. My first thought may have been selfish, but why not help out people in our own country first.

    ReplyDelete